Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Talk about a "Find".....



Okay...

So I'm so excited.....

Two days ago, I went into the local Tabacheria (Tobacco Shop) to buy a greeting card.... yeah.....here...(only place I can find them) and in Italy things are a little diffferent....only the Tabacheria's can sell cigarettes..because of how they tax everything here...no sales tax on most things...but some things they do tax on and you have to have a government permit to sell these items....

Well cigarettes is one of those items...and also in these shops you will find phone cards, postage stamps, lottery tickets, greeting cards(the only place I have found a greeting card), sheets of wrapping paper...weird stuff like that....and it's the only place you can find these things....


Anyway, I was in there getting a greeting card and a padded envelope (again only place to get these too)...when I noticed the collection of the Stephanie Meyer Twilight books..the entire series...of course they were in Italian...but I had been looking for that 3rd book forever.....

So, I asked the sales clerk if they had books in English..something like..."Libri in Englesi?"...okay that might be choppy but she got the message....no one in this shop speaks a lick of English...but no problem....But she tells me "no, they don't have any".....

Then the owner (wife) comes over and somehow we manage to communicate that if I told her what books I wanted or by what author...she could go into Perugia and pick them up for me.....again..completely in Italian....or hand signals..or grunts...or by whatever means necessary......

We were able to conclude (with the help of the husband...who I will just add is much nicer and more patient with me than the wife...she gets frustrated very easily.....) Anyway...able to conclude that I would bring them back a list of books the next day and she would go into Perugia and see what she could find....

I went in there the yesterday.....and she already had 4 books for me....I am in the process of reading one of those books already..and had already read another....but managed to walk out of there with 2 new books in English........

And you might not get the full grasp of that accomplishment....but we can't find books in English here....there is only one place in Perugia in the middle of the square...which we only go to on special occasions......so we are down to reading crap...because it is the only books we have left that we haven't read this year....


And after 6 months of living in here...finally found a place (albeit the Tobacco Shop) who will delivery them to me right here in Ponte Rio (at the bottom of the hill of Todi) I don't even have to drive to Perugia...

Anyway...a huge success for us! HOORAY!

No comments: